To do great and important tasks,
two things are necessary:
a plan and not quite enough time.
– Wish I’d Said That, John Robson Online
Hahaha, eh? Every proposal team knows about the “not quite enough time” part. Not every team seems to know about the “plan” part.
Sorry. Had to do it.
Yes, in addition to not-quite-enough time, you also need da plan. Something like this:
- Scope the work of responding to the RFP.
- Schedule the work.
- Assign resources.
- Assign more resources, including technically conversant people who can supervise/support the work of others but not do any writing themselves. (This step is often missed).
- Reduce the work by simplifying/standardizing the response before anyone starts writing. (This step is almost always missed.)
- Go forth and do great and important tasks without damaging any staff.